Hello, I’m back!
I extended my break to take in the Labor Day weekend and now I’m feeling pretty dang refreshed. I relaxed, saw lots of people, and gained some perspective on, you know, life. I did knit a little too…
Knitting on the Aran Cardi continues. I held it up to Thunk’s torso yesterday evening and it appears that I’m about 1/3 of the way through the body. I’m having a nice time with this one so far. It’s a very relaxing knit…the cables are easy to memorize and hey, no body shaping!
Aside from a little more knitting on the Pomatomus socks, and some sisterly birthday knitting on the mysterious white project (which I did NOT finish in time for the birthday deadline, and STILL haven’t finished, because I am a bad sister) I didn’t really accomplish much in the crafty realm. I did figure out a few other things though:
1) I love my new brother-in-law. I have the best family ever. You should all be very jealous of me.
2) Vacation is lovely, even when it rains and there are biting flies.
3) I’ve had an epiphany about the whole Christmas knitting thing. This year, I’m not going to knit something for everyone I know. I’m not joking. I know I said it last year, but I really mean it this time. More to come on this topic.
4) It seems that the combination of autumn-like weather and having the carpet shampooed can trigger an insane cleaning, organizing, trashing and donating binge. Curious about how that worked out?
Ok, this apartmental overhaul has been a long time coming. Do you remember the weekender bag? It has been sitting out since May, as I have no room ANYWHERE in my apartment to store it. Seriously, we’ve been at maximum capacity for a while. Do you know how hard it is to put anything away when there is nowhere to put it?
To make a very long story short, I tore into the place. I’ve done this before, and usually it results in me getting that “I’m half way through going through all the crap in the closet but I’m totally burned out and just want to shove it all back in” feeling. Then I shove it back in and I’m pretty much back where I started. No more! I’ve thought this through and I’m pretty sure I’ve solved the problem.
It’s very simple.
1) Go out and get some DVDs of your favorite TV show* (ok, in my case it was old videocassettes of Ally I taped off of the TV in college).
2) Pull everything out of the closet.
3) Reorganize your fanny off until you get that overwhelmed feeling.
4) Go watch an episode and knit a bit.
5) When it’s over, go back reorganize a bit more.
6) Do the knitting/TV thing again. Maybe watch two episodes if you’re feeling particularly burned out.
Repeat as often as necessary until your closet/room/treehouse/whatever is clean. Trust me, you want to try this. I feel like all I’ve done is watch TV and knit all weekend, but somehow I managed to reorganize the complete disaster which was my bedroom. It’s like a miracle or something.
*don’t get a show you haven’t seen before (especially one with cliffhanger episodes, like Alias). We don’t want anything that you could get potentially sucked into, obviously.
P.S. Yes, I know that this probably won’t work for people with actual lives, but there have to be a few others out there like me, right?